Frequently Asked Questions
Are there any specific types of requests or projects that the Foundation does NOT fund?
The Atlanta Women’s Foundation does not fund:
- Requests from individuals, government agencies or private businesses
- Scholarships requested by individuals
- Loans, startup expenses or seed capital funding for private businesses
- Debt reduction
- Endowments or capital expenditures including renovations, equipment, furnishings and construction
- Programs that require religious participation or affiliation
- Fundraising projects and capital campaigns
What is the Foundation’s target population?
The Atlanta Women’s Foundation’s goal is to support organizations that improve the lives of economically vulnerable women and girls in Clayton, Cobb, DeKalb, Fulton and Gwinnett counties. Girls are defined as female children ages 0 to 18.
How does the Foundation define “female headed household with children?”
A family with children headed by a female guardian or custodial parent.
What percentage of clients must reside in the Foundation’s five county service area to be eligible for funding?
- For a program grant, 75% of the program’s clients must reside in the five county service area
- For a general operating grant, 75% of the organization’s clients must reside in the five county service area
If an organization is applying for a program grant, can they include overhead and administrative expenses related to that program?
Yes, the Foundation will accept requests for program funding that include reasonable overhead and administrative expenses.
If an organization has not gathered income data during client intake, how should they complete the client demographics section of the Application?
While actual income data on clients served is preferred, we will accept estimates. Please include an explanation as to how you arrived at your estimates in your proposal and how you expect to gather income data in the future.
If we are applying for funding for a new program, and we do not have client demographics, how should we complete the demographics section of the Application?
If you are requesting funding for a new program, please complete the demographics section of the application with a description of your target population – that is the population your program intends to and will likely serve.
Does the Foundation award multi-year grants?
AWF does not award multi-year grants.
Do the financial figures submitted in the application need to coincide with Foundation’s fiscal year?
Does the Foundation provide feedback to an organization on why they are not being funded?
Upon request, we will provide feedback on applications that were not accepted for funding.